Friday, September 17, 2010
Blessings
I know I complain a lot. It's probably part my nature, and part the fact that dealing with ADD and ADHD is really frustrating a lot of the time. But I have to say that despite my complaints, I also am very grateful for this crazy disease. Why? Because it helps me see more clearly, define more finely, the person that I want to be. The type of mother I can be. The genius that is in these children. Our schedules are busy. BUSY. I like it that way, even though it wears me thin. I want my children involved in life. I want my children learning. But even children get overwhelmed. I've been so impressed with my oldest, who has taken on a lot this year. He wanted to try out for competition soccer. I'll be honest and say I was hesitant. Not only is it a huge time and money commitment, but his anxieties typically stop him from functioning fully. I thought it would be a waste of our time since I didn't believe he'd make the team. But my dear, sweet husband was the better side of the scenario and said that we should always show him that we stand behind him. No matter what. So I did and he made the team. I was proud of him for moving past his anxieties and doing something he enjoyed. And it's been HARD. He practices 3-4 times a week, and usually has a couple of games. Add that to piano lessons and scouts and homework...the boy barely has a moment to breathe. But, he taken it in stride and is learning better how to manage his time, and to feel proud of himself. I think this would make any mother proud, but to see him dealing with his ADD and working through all of this still, I have to say that I am grateful. It has helped me to love him and respect him more deeply.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment