
So we've had the RUN AROUND with B's teacher (my oldest), and with B the last couple of months. It has gotten to the point that his teacher appears to be extremely bothered by my communications with her. I dislike this, but what am I supposed to do? This is my child and I am fighting for him because he can't do it himself. He deserves a chance, right? Sigh. Anyway, my hubby took him into school the other morning to make sure that homework was returned and that the teacher gave him credit for it appropriately, and he asked her what suggestions she had for him entering 6th grade, and what we could do better. She suggested we get him an "official accommodation" (since apparently if it's on paper, the teacher suddenly is much happier to comply...sorry, sarcasm off). So we contacted the V.P. and he said he doesn't think B needs a 504 and that we should talk to his teacher at the beginning of the year and request accommodations, and that he'll sit in if we feel it's needed.
So we go to the counselor on Monday. This is the counselor that B's pediatrician suggested we see after I was frustrated at our last medication management appointment. The problem is that B does pretty well when he's on his meds, but if I don't give them to him, he doesn't take them (even though he tells me he does). B struggles, regardless, in remembering to turn his homework in when it's due, and he doesn't bring home all the information necessary to complete assignments. I don't know how much is ADD and how much is him being an 11 year old boy. This counselor will see us for one time and give us some suggestions. Well, we meet and talk over some of the issues we are facing and she gives us the same ideas we've been given many times, and a few new ones. Last of all she suggested we get an IEP, which is even harder to get than a 504! Oh boy! Really?
On another note, D, my 5 year old, had his last day of pre-school today. Oh, he's growing up! He'll be in kindergarten soon and we'll see what that brings. I'm scared and excited all at the same time.
Is that an individual education plan? How do you even go about those hoops? Oh, J, I'm rooting for you guys! Hang in there. Are you looking forward to summer?
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. :) That's exactly what it is, but the VP doesn't want to do that, because it's for "disabilities" (umm...I know this isn't an obvious physical one, but still! If your brain doesn't function properly, isn't there something can still be done to help?). Anyway, we ARE excited for summer!
ReplyDeleteHi Joanna, I am reading your blog and amazed at how much we have in common. I am finding such strength in your blog. Your sons are so blessed that you and your hubby are working with them, helping them and addressing their ADD & ADHD. You truly are a wonderful mother!
ReplyDeleteJust like you I would not wish these trials on anyone let alone my treasured children. I grew up in a home where this and any other disabilities were not addressed. As an adult I was extra excited about adoption, with the secret hope that our children would not have to deal with these genetic things. That is not at all why we chose adoption, but secretly I prayed that my children could escape these genetic traits because life is difficult enough without adding this to their lists of daily trials.
Two and a half years ago my 8 1/2 year old daughter E was diagnosed with ADHD. we found many ways to help her manage it. The past six months with five new added siblings... I can no longer micromanage her homework and turing in homework, so everything else has really gone down hill. She uses the patch during the school year, but I take her off during the summer to give her a break. I know it's not easy for her brain to switch, but her body needs to grow and she eats so much better off meds. This fall she her new sister Gracie (Abie) will no longer be in the same class with K so she may have a chance to keep up with her peers. I think it's been hard for her to watch her sister do so well so easily... she is happy for her but just like me, she has to fight hard to stay on task (Running to stand still:)
Three years ago our almost 7 year old son A was diagnosed with BP, ADHD, PDD and Separation Anxiety. Thank goodness he is extremely smart. Still he is behind behavior wise. Last week his Doctor of 2 1/2 years finally said he is old enough to use a medicine that has literally changed his life and our lives as well. I have no idea how he will do in school this year, but I am so thankful for the "break" in the screaming, yelling and braking things over any little changes that we make. I am glad that this is working, but I keep waiting for something to go wrong because that is how it has been for almost seven years now.
I never thought that I would have seven small children, so close in age, that are all special needs children! Why didn't anybody tell me how difficult this would be??? Thank goodness it is also so very much more rewarding than I ever expected. Still, genetics or not... As a family our children's trials are ours... we all are on this journey together. I know that our children are sent to us, because Heavenly Father is trusting us to help them here on earth and to help them to return home to Him. He believes that they have the very best chance with us. Wow... Whether we have them from birth or adoption their trials are not our fault. Most of the time if not always we are the life preserver that holds them in place during the raging storms and at times we get to see the sparkle in their eyes that gives us a chance to marvel at their strength and beauty. Sometimes during the calm times we get to enjoy who they really are and strengthen our bounds with them.
I gain a lot of strength and hope from you and I really enjoy reading your blog. It reminds me what a strong person you are and that I am not alone. I look up to you in so many ways and I thank you for being so wonderful! I Love you! :0) With love, ~ Mare