I've never been accused of being "high-energy" or a "yellow" peronality. In fact, I'm pretty low-energy. It's not that I wouldn't like more, but I just can't seem to find it. But my kids? They have energy. A LOT of it. And it's hard keeping up with them during the school year, but now it's summer and they are all home and ...bum, bum, bum:BORED
We have some merit badge classes coming up, Up With Kids, champ camp, soccer, and maybe more swimming lessons.
So there is a lot of fighting, a lot of mess-making, and a lot of me running back and forth between the two. So I've decided this summer, instead of being frustrated with our time together, we're going to try and tame their inner-tigers by wearing them out (I *might* just be utterly exhausted after the summer). So this is the first week of summer and so far we've done our swimming lessons every day, we went and bought lawn water toys, and the kids are having a blast. We've had dance recitals and sleepovers, and I think this approach might be working...they are all sleeping SO well! But swimming lessons end next week and I've got to come up with something else.
Please share any ideas you have!
I am so glad that I found your blog! I have a child with ADHD and we have not found a medication that works for him or does not make him depressed. Here are a few ideas I have for wearing the kids out and not you. Water balloons..kids love to fill them and throw them at each other. Pay the kids a certain amount per broken balloon that they pick up and throw away. Also water painting. Take a pail of water and a paint brushes (large house painting ones) and let them express themselves on a slab of concrete like your driveway. You can also create obstacle courses indoors or outdoors and see if they can beat each others or their previous time. You can do all this while reading a magazine or talking to a friend on the phone if you do not want to participate. I also find that the more kids I have over...the less I have to entertain.
ReplyDeleteSuzi! Welcome to the blog! Thank you so much for your suggestions. We are MOST DEFINITELY going to take them! :)
ReplyDelete