Thursday, August 5, 2010
Diet
Okay, so I know. I KNOW that so many people with ADD/ADHD kids start with the diet. We've never been "bad" eaters. We've always tried to eat lots of veggies, tried to keep the sugar out of the house, we don't buy soda, but will drink it if at a family party, etc. But I'm starting to wonder if it's something I need to be more in control of. I do believe that what we put into our bodies affects how we behave (both physically (i.e. sickness, growth, brain function) and emotionally). But I've never been a "food nazi"...just tried to take things in stride. Earlier this week we tried an experiment. We followed a basic ADD diet. The next day the kids were wonderful. Well, the following day we had a horrible diet (McDonald's for dinner, ice cream, cereal for breakfast, etc.) and the following day the kids were horrible. So...makes me think maybe I should be better. I'm looking into the Feingold program but wondered if any of you few readers (is anyone still here?) have actually tried this, and what you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've never looked into following a specific diet plan, but I can tell you from my own experience, my changes in eating habits have led to me being able to concentrate for longer amounts of time, I'm not as antsy (like even right now, I'm not wiggling in my computer chair, LOL) So anyway, I completely agree that diet can make a huge difference.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJoanna,
ReplyDeleteWe have been preservative and additive free since our son came along. Its not allergies or behaviour, but just a general belief that our food should be 1) recognisable 2) safe and 3) something that strengthens rather than damages the body. I know that the intial diet changes can seem entirely overhelming, and you will feel a bit chained to the kitchen. But if you consistently make your own snacks, shop for whole foods and yes, get a bit Nazi, then it really does work out for the better. As the mom, it will feel like it all falls on you. We stick with the allowing soda at family events or the like. I figure its small, controlled amounts that we are aware of. However, like I said its preference for us, not necessity. Watching Food Inc. with your oldest might help him feel committed to the plan (maybe the adults should watch it first for screening purposes). Documentaries like that, which we watch anyway, have really helped our son stay on track in the face of candy and other crud available away from home. There was a period when he was 4 and he accused people offering him soda of trying to kill his brain, but other than that he's always been pretty in line with the plan as just being part of how our family operates. He has a classmate whose mother swears by the Dengate Foodsafe program. Check out www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info. Good luck! I sincerely believe that diet has a noticeable impact - and that following one of these plans might be laborious, but can only be for the good.
Thanks girls. Kat, I'm looking into the info. Thank you! I whole-heartedly agree that what goes in is what makes our bodies and brains function for better or worse. I just need to take more control than I have in the past.
ReplyDeleteYou already know that I'm a food nazi of sorts right now. :) I totally agree that what we eat play a HUGE part in how our body functions. I admire you for looking for ways to improve through diet. Though none of my children have been diagnosed with ADD at this time and I have different reasons for making major changes, I know that I definitely notice a difference in how my children act depending on what they've been fed. Good luck. I'm interested to hear how it goes.
ReplyDeleteYou are an amazing individual and mother. I'm am always in awe of all you do and how deeply you love and care. Your children are blessed beyond words to have you in their life.
My word, Tif, thank you! What wonderful, kind words. And your diet adjustments have already inspired me. We're making green smoothies! :) Although they are not really GREEN...yet.
ReplyDelete